Saturday, January 22, 2011

Audition No. 1: Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music

So, my first audition is finished. Yay! Today I auditioned at Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory, a section of Baldwin-Wallace College in Berea, Ohio. Here's a little outline of what I did today:
  • 7:30 AM- Left house for Berea, Ohio with my awesome dad, Larry Douglas
  • 9:15 AM- Registration and Welcome
  • 9:30-10 AM-Warm up in practice room
  • 10:20 AM- AUDITION (see note below about how the audition went)
  • 11:00 AM- Watched BW Orchestral Rehearsal
  • Noon- Lunch in Union
  • 1 PM-3 PM- Watched a Piano Trio Rehearsal
  • 3:00-4:45- Campus tour/Chipotle stop with the amazing, Matt Torgler
  • Went home
Details on the audition:

Well I thought for my first audition, things went pretty well. First, I played two scales and arpeggios for the committee. Next, I played my complete Bach prelude and fugue. It went well but I missed some notes. Next, I played the G minor Brahms Rhaspsody until the return of the main theme. I finished with the preludes one and two from Kennan's Three Preludes. They, unfortunately, didn't have time to hear the third. Lastly, I had to do some pitch matching (they played a pitch and I had to match it by singing) and sightreading. Both went well, especially the sightreading :)

Overall, I really liked my second visit/audition at BW. The piano faculty members are very nice and I really enjoyed my lesson with one of them on my first visit. I like the small size of the campus and the overall supportive atmosphere is gives off.

My next audition is at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan on Friday, January 28. In the meantime I'll be practicing. :]

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Peter; I am glad things went well! Keep us posted!

    Monica Mark Max and ^Liddy^ Miyashita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed visiting the campus. It's a great school (yes I'm prejudiced). Sounds like your first audition went rather well. Thanks for letting us know!

    ReplyDelete