Saturday, February 5, 2011

Audition No. 3: Kent State University: The Hugh A. Glauser School of Music

Best audition yet!! YAY!!!! This morning, I auditioned at Kent State Univesity's Hugh A. Glauser School of Music at their main campus in Kent, Ohio. It was so nice to be back in this wonderful builiding. For those who may not know, I attended two summers of Kent State's Piano Institute (2007 & 2008). I had a wonderful experience there and it helped me decide that I was going to strive to study piano performance in college. For interested pianists, here is their website: http://www.kent.edu/pianoinstitute/index.cfm. I'd be more than willing to answer questions or share my experiences at the Institute. Just leave a comment here or on Facebook and I will get back to you.

Here's an outline of what I did:
  • 7:15 AM- Departed for Kent with dad
  • 8:15- Arrived at Kent, Registered, A little practice/warm up
  • 9:00- Welcome Meeting
  • 9:30- Theory Placement Test
  • 10:45- Audition
  • 11:30- Starbucks- Cafe Mocha :]
This is the first audition where I had to take a theory placement test. It was a test to see if you need to be placed in the remidial theory, therefore it was a pretty basic test. Topics included key signatures, writing out scales, ect. There was also an ear training test in which they played a series of notes and I had to pick what they played from four choices. I found it fairly simple.

So, now the audition itself. I was invited cordially into the room and talked with the faculty members awhile about what I was up to this year. Next, I played Kennan's Three Preludes in their entirety. Next, came bits of the first movement of the Haydn and the 2nd Rhapsody of Brahms. I finished playing through my Bach prelude and fugue. The pieces went really well. I believe that I had a better mind set coming in then my previous audition, which helped with my confidence and ability to focus on making music. I finished by playing four scales and sightreading a piece.

So, I'm very excited to hear the results of my audition; I should hear back from them late next week!

I'm off to St. Louis for my next audition at Webster University on Friday. We're flying. Everyone have a wonderful week!!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a triumph! Glad to hear things went so well!

    Monica Miyashita

    ReplyDelete