Saturday, February 12, 2011

Audition No. 4: Webster University: Department of Music

Another great audition, yay! I have really enjoyed coming back to St. Louis. I feel very comfortable here and it is definately one of my tops. Anyways, today I auditioned at Webster University of Webster-Groves, Missouri. It's about 15 minutes from St. Louis. It's a small university with only about 125 music students. They are an all-Steinway school, which is very enticing (they have only Steinway brand pianos). I also studied with the piano professor, Daniel Schene, at Indiana University's Piano Academy. He is great!

An outline, of course:

Friday
  • 5:00 PM- Departure from Cleveland Airport
*note change to central time
  • 5:45- Arrival at St. Louis Airport
  • Arrival at Hotel and Dinner at Chilis
Saturday
  • 8:30 AM- Registration and breakfast at Webster
  • 9:00- Introduction and meeting with Dr. Jeffrey Carter, Chair of Department of Music
  • 10:30- Aural Skills Test
  • 10:40- Meeting with Professor Schene
  • 11:40- Audition
  • 12:00- Theory Placement Test
  • 1:00 PM- Lunch
The aural skills test and theory placement test were a piece of cake. I thank my wonderful choir teacher, Mrs. Heather Carr, and my great band teacher, Mr. Randy Kaserman for helping me aquire the solfege, rhythm and sight-reading skills needed for these tests. The aural skills is another name for an ear-training test. They tested my on identifying the pulse of a piece, matching pitch, repeating a played melody, and sight-singing. The theory test was simiilar to the Kent State theory test: key signatures, scales, rhythms, and Roman numer analysis.

The audition portion was very comfortable for me, as I have already had three under my belt (but I did experience a little nervousness which supplies some nice adrenaline). I played for the entire available faculty-about 11 professors! I played the first two Kennan preludes, half of the 1st Brahms Rhapsody, and the exposition of my Bach fugue. They all went well and I think really showed my strengths as a performer, musician, and interpreter.

Next weekend is Shenandoah Conservatory in Winchester, Viginia. For those who might ask, I will be doing a piano solo audition there, not collaborative. I'm delighted that I will be staying with my dad's cousin Megan Smith. Can't wait!

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. You make me thankful that, in my case, a decent ACT score and a diploma were sufficient :)

    ReplyDelete