Saturday, February 19, 2011

Audition No. 5: Shenandoah Conservatory

Hello all! 5 down, one more to go. I have to say I'm really excited to have undergrad auditions done once and for all :) Anyways, I'm hear in Virginia writing this as I gaze out onto the Appalachian Mountains. It's so beautiful here, but unfortunately it's smokey too. Their have trouble with some fires caused by the high winds we're experiencing here. Yet, it's still beautiful to gaze on the hazy silhouette of one of God's amazing creations.

I'm staying at my Aunt (actually first cousin once removed) Megan Smith's house in Flint Hill. It's so beautiful and I thank her so much for hosting us this weekend.

We drove to Virginia yesterday. It took us about 6 1/2 hours.

I auditioned this morning at Shenandoah Conservatory in Winchester, VA. It's a part of Shenandoah University, a private university with only about 3500 students. I learned about this school as I was originally looking to apply to their undergrad collaborative piano program (accompanying). Their one of a few schools that offer this degree. However, I decided it was best for me to pursue a piano performance undergraduate degree.

Outline of my day:
  • 8:30 AM- Registration
  • 9:00- Introduction and Curriculum Session
  • 10:00- Diagnostic Aural Skills Exam (Sight-singing)
  • 1:30 PM- Audition
  • 2:00- Lunch
  • 3:00- Campus Tour
So, my audition went very well. The piano faculty members had good feedback after each of the pieces I played. I played my whole program which included Kennan's Three Preludes, Brahms Rhapsody No. 2, Op. 79, and Bach Prelude and Fugue in E flat. I actually got to play through it all, unlike most all of my other auditions. I also did some sightreading and they were impressed by that. We talked a bunch about what I want to do later after school and then I left with a smile.

I really like Shenandoah, but if I decide to consider going there in the end I'll need to take a lesson with my prospective professor (my personal preference).

Next, week is OBERLIN.... Then, I'm done!

Peace!

2 comments:

  1. Yay Peter! Can't wait to hear about it in person. Have fun with the Smiths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that you got accepted to Kent :)

    ReplyDelete